There is always a lot of things to do. Of course I'd like to see OpenIndiana a modern universal OS, but it's still a long way to go. We've made a lot of work in the last two monthes.
1) Thanks to Adam Stevko and Andrzej Szeszo we have a modern IPS version. Unfortunately, IPS GUI has gone, but as it was dropped even by upstream , it's not a big loss. We got ability to generate dependencies on mediated links, improved speed of operations and I hope fixed a number of bugs.
2) Andrzej Szeszo has updated NVidia drivers to version 331.20
3) Andrzej Szeszo has finally proposed a reasonable package versioning scheme, which allows to do /hipster more stable and predictable. I hope we'll adopt it soon.
4) I continued my work on JDS conversion and updates: we received Python 2.7, a lot of Python modules and several GUI applications (totem, rhythmbox, fbreader) were moved from JDS or added to oi-userland. The most noticable additions are OpenJDK 1.7.45, Firefox 17esr and Bacula 5.2.13.
I know, there should be some bugs there, but I hope we'll deal with them soon.
Now I'm interested in several issues:
1) I'm currently working on Thunderbird update to 24.2.0. I hope to finish in about 10 days if there are no any surprises.
2) The second thing I'd like to do is to work a bit on Python 2.7 modules so we'll be able to turn on compilation of Python 2.7 components (I mean setuptools, cherrypy, mysql, psycopg and so on) by default. As I'm on Python I would deprecate Python 2.4, 2.5. It also worth investigating if IPS could use Python 2.7.
3) I'd like to look on PHP 5.5. Jon Tibble has recently added PHP 5.5 to ec-userland. We could base oi-userland component on this version.
4) I think I should finally build, test and integrate brasero to userland (Ken Mays has prepared patches and Makefile long ago)
4) I would really like to move to userland some more things from oi-build, first of all, kvm and qemu, but I don't think I have a hardware necessary to test it.
5) Also I'd like to look at perl - what do we need to allow Perl 5.10 go away? We definately need 64-bit Perl version. It worth to look at Perl update. One interesting part is current work of Andrew Stormont on https://www.illumos.org/issues/3900 which can allow us to use Perl 5.16 for building illumos-gate.
6) I also want to see apache 2.4 in the gate ( https://www.illumos.org/issues/4405 ). However, I currently don't have a clear view if it can coexist with apache 2.2. The main issue I see now is php module - php 5.4 component currently doesn't allow to build apache php module for several apache versions.
7) And every operating system would like to be a decent desktop. I'd like to see fusefs and vlc out of the box....
It's a long list, I don't know how long it will take to implement everything, but I'm going to do at least something :)